- Tomato - 2
- Tamarind paste - 1 tsp (or small lemon sized tamarind)
- Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Rasam powder - 2 tsp.
- Toor dal - 2 tbsp (cooked)
- Vepampoo(Neem Flower) - 1 Tbsp
- Oil or Ghee - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- fresh coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 10 leaves.
In a pan, add a cup of water to cut tomatoes, mix the tamarind paste or tamarind. Add turmeric powder, rasam powder and salt to it. Let it cook/boil for 10 mts. Now add the toor dal and another cup of water to it. When the rasam starts emitting a very good aroma, turn off the stove. In a small pan, pre-heat the oil/ghee, add mustard seed, when seeds start splutter, add Vepampoo, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida and curry leaves to it. Pour it in the rasam. Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
Its always better to eat this Rasam after few minutes of cooking, so that the aroma of neem flower mix with rasam.