- Toor dhall - 1/4 cup
- Urad dhall - less than 1/4 cup
- Channa dhall - 1/4 cup
- Moong dhall - 1 tbsp (optional)
- Red chillies - 2 (acc to taste)
- Salt to taste
- curry leaves - few
- asafoetida powder - a pinch
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Urad dhall - 1/2 tsp
- Soak the above said dhall for an hour to two adding red chillies to it.
- Grind it coarsely adding required amount of salt, red chillies.
- Add 1/4 cup of water, a drop of sesame oil and turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Put it in a microwave safe vessel and microwave it for 6 mts.(stir it in between) till the lentils are cooked.
- Take a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters add urad dhall, curry leaves and asafoetida powder and fry it till golden brown.
- Add the cooked lentils and mix everything well. Let it cool and make small balls out of it.
For dough, we use the same method just like jaggery kozhakattai (see here). Make small cups out of the dough, place the lentil balls in it and cover it in the shape of a triangle. Stem cook it for 15 mts. This can eaten with Jaggery kozhakattai