The goal for this new year is to use very less sugar in whatever I bake. While going through many sites, I came to know that honey can be substituted as sugar along with fruits which are naturally sweet. I tried this muffin recipe this weekend and it came out spongy. I took the basic banana peanut butter recipe from allrecipes.com and changed the ingredients according to this muffin. Here goes the recipe.
- All Purpose flour - 1 cup
- Aashirwadh Atta - 1 cup
- Egg - 2 ( I used 1/3 cup of egg whites)
- Buttermilk - 1/3 cup
- Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
- Mashed Banana - 1 cup
- Almond Butter - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/3 cup
- Honey - 2 tbsp (generous tablespoon)
- Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Pre heat oven to 325 degree and line the muffin pans with paper muffin liners or grease it with olive oil.
- Take the dry ingredients flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and mix everything well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg whites, oil, honey, sugar and vanilla essence really well
- Mash the banana and almond butter together and bring it to a paste consistency.
- Add the oil mix to the dry ingredients and mix it will.
- Add mashed banana and mix all of them well.
- Scoop the muffin pans with the batter and bake it for 25 to 27 minutes. Do the toothpick test to make sure the muffins are cooked fully.
original recipe is based on
- all purpose flour and I substituted half of it with whole grain wheat flour.
- 1 3/4 cups of sugar and no honey. I used honey and just 1/3 cup of sugar. It had just enough sweetness to enjoy.
- I whisked the yogurt to buttermilk instead of using store bought buttermilk. So it was not really thick or thin.
- I wanted to incorporate almond butter as much as possible in my recipes so that my girls can have it. Original recipe had peanut butter.