Thamara kezhangu / Kamal kakdi / Lotus Stem is something i really love. I remember my patti used to make this vathal at home. When we were in Delhi, sabjiwala used to bring the fresh Kamal Kakdi. Even our landlady asked me to try out some sabji she made with kamal kakdi. It tasted pretty good but we were not excited about that. But I know more about this thamara kezhangu vathal. My husband is not aware of this. But he tried it and liked it too. Since we make vatha kozhambu with manathakali, sundakka, pagakka vathal, I wanted to try with this thamarakezhangu too. I got the thamarakezhangu vathal from Ambika appalam, Chennai. It came out pretty good. We both really liked it.
- Thamara kezhangu vathal - 1 cup (divide it to 3/4th & 1/4th)
- Tamarind - Medium lemon sized ball
- Sesame oil - 3 tbsp
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder - 1 1/2 tsp (acc to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery - 2 tsp (optional)
- mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- urad dhall - 1/2 tsp
- Red chillie - 1 or 2 (acc to taste)
- Oil - To deep fry
- Hing - few pinches
- curry leaves - for garnishing.